Adult Forum Hour
When/Where: Sunday mornings from 9:00AM– 10:15AM in the Guild Hall.
The Adult Education Forum has taken a look at a wide variety of subjects over the past years, tackling everything from religious issues to ethics and morality in our society today. A one-month portion of each year is dedicated to foreign affairs. In the past, we have tackled the Palestinian/Jewish question, the Arab Spring parts 1 and 2 and several other foreign policy issues.
Other subjects have been the Affordable Care Act, immigration and many issues from our city’s governance, to learning about the many newer cultural programs and volunteer efforts in our inner cities. We have also managed to take a hard look at environmental issues such as water rights and fracking.
Adult Forum Committee members include: John Bentley, Bill Cartwright, Kirt and Joanna Hobler, Craig Hopewell, Don Harrison, Jonathan and Nancy Lippincott, Gerri Strauss, and Rev. Dr. Stephen Caine.
We would welcome new members with fresh ideas and enthusiasm!
If you are interested in joining the Adult Forum Committee, please contact Gerri Strauss.
- September 30: What does it mean to be human? Speaker – Dr. Waleed El-Ansary In our fast paced world with all that confronts us, what does it mean to be human?
The Protestant Reformation
The Protestant Reformation occurred during a 250 year period (roughly 1350-1600) mostly in Western Europe. It was the result of a combination of several factors; emerging nationalism coupled with powerful monarchs; mercantilism replacing feudalism; Renaissance Humanism; perceived abuses of Roman Catholic leaders and- not the leas-, the printing press.
- October 7: Dr. David Hawley, retired minister the Indian Hill Church January 2012. Overview of the causes and scope of the Protestant Reformation with an introduction of some of the leaders.
- October 14: Dr. David Hawley – Martin Luther
- October 21: Dr. David Hawley – Calvin. Dr. Hawley was also Presbyterian Minister Wilmington Church Wilmington OH for 25 years. Past professor of Greek and New Testament at United Theological Seminary in Dayton Ohio.
- October 28: English Reformation/Anglican Church – Speaker – Reverend George Sherrill Rector and Co-Pastor at the Indian Hill Church. George earned his Master of Divinity from The Virginia Theological Seminary.
- November 4: The changing role of education in the 21st century. How students learn and why in the ever challenging world of Artificial Intelligence!
- Tony Jaccaci Head Of School Cincinnati Country Day 2015- present
- Executive Principal Secondary School YK Pao School Shangai China 2010-2015
- St. Georges School, New Port Rhode Island
- Director, Global Programs 2006-2010
- Director, Summer Sessions 2000-2004
- Academic Dean Summer Sessions, 1999-2000
- Department Head, Chinese Department 1997-2010
- Tufts University The Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy MALD 1995-1997
- Harvard University BA East Asian Studies 1990-1992
- Phillips Academy. 1984-1987
- November 11: Now what? A look at the mid term elections!
- Howard Wilkinson. Joined the WVXU News Team after 30 Years of covering local and state politics for the Cincinnati Enquirer A native of Dayton, Ohio Wilkinson has covered every governor’s race since 1974 and 16 presidential nominating conventions!
- In 2012, The Society of Professional Journalists inducted Wilkinson into the Cincinnati Journalism Hall of Fame.
Book Discussion Group
The Book Discussion Group meets monthly, the second Wednesday of the month at 7pm at Jan Ring’s home, to discuss a book chosen to provoke thoughtful contemplation and spiritual growth. We are a co-educational group that has fun and stimulating conversations in order to expand our thoughts and ideas about the world. We welcome all to join!
Click for more information on the Book Discussion Group